Core 301: Historical Perspectives
- Academic Search Premier A multidisciplinary database that contains abstracts and some full-text content. Indexes both scholarly and popular journals.
- Current Contents Connect (scholarly journals at ISI) Index and abstracts for articles in scholarly journals and other research literature. Covers 1997 - present.
- Essay & General Literature Index Indexes essays and articles from anthologies and collections in the humanities and social sciences.
An electronic archive of the full-text content of core scholarly journals in the arts & sciences.
Basic Searching Tips | Advanced Searching Tips | Other JSTOR Help Topics
- MLA Bibliography This is the most comprehensive index for modern language and literature. It covers 1964 to present, and includes periodicals, books, dissertations, and conference proceedings. Classical Greek and Latin literature are not covered.
Full text content of over 220 scholarly journals in the humanities and social sciences.
- Research Library A multidisciplinary database that contains abstracts and some full-text content. Indexes both scholarly and popular journals.
- Wilson OmniFile: Full Text Mega Edition A multidisciplinary database that contains abstracts and some full-text content. Indexes both scholarly and popular journals.
- WorldCat A catalog of books and materials owned by libraries worldwide.
Search Tips:Most databases have a Guided, or Advanced, search option that will allow you to easily limit your search terms to specific fields. Boolean operators (and, or, not) are easier to use in this search mode. Additional ways to limit searches are by date, language, peer reviewed journals, and publication.
Refining your search: After your initial few searches, evaluate your results. Are there any aspects of your topic you need to add to your search? Make a note of the subject headings or descriptors attached to your results. You might be able to use these for additional searches. Did you receive too few results? If so, try expanding your search. Limit your search if you retrieved too many records.
Boolean Operator Basics: The Boolean connectors AND, OR, and NOT are often used to combine keywords or concepts when searching electronic databases. Using these operators can make your search more focused, thus yielding more precise search results.
AND is a connector that requires both words to be present in each record in your results. For example, searching for Livy AND historiography will only retrieve citations that include both terms. Use AND to narrow your search.
OR expands your search by allowing either word to be present in your search results. For example, as search on Livy AND (historiography OR method) will yield the following: All resulting citations will contain the word "Livy." In addition, all results will contain either "historiography" or "method" (or both).
NOT is used to exclude terms from your search. For example, if you did not want to find any references to book reviews, you could try searching for Livy NOT "book review".
I have the citation. How do I find the journal article?
- Look for the journal title in the Journal Locator - an alphabetical list of our electronic and print journal holdings.
- If your journal is listed, check that the issue you need is available. Journals that are available electronically have the dates of coverage listed next to the database link(s). For journals available in print or on microfilm, you will see a link to the library catalog labeled "Philip Weltner Library Print/Microfilm Holdings." This will tell you what issues we have in the library.
- Writing & Citing This page links to resources that provide writing tips and instructions for citing sources in multiple formats (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.).
Byrn Mawr Classical Review Book reviews for recent works in classical studies.
Electronic Antiquity: Communicating the Classics A refereed general classical journal available solely online.
Electronic Text Center at the University of Virginia Library
INFOMINE: Scholarly Internet Resource Collections
INFOMINE is a virtual library of Internet resources relevant to faculty, students, and research staff at the university level. It contains useful Internet resources such as databases, electronic journals, electronic books, bulletin boards, mailing lists, online library card catalogs, articles, directories of researchers, and many other types of information. This resource is built and maintained by librarians.
VoS: Voice of the Shuttle.
This is a well-respected "gateway" site to academic resources in the humanities. The site is maintained by Alan Liu, Univerity of California, Santa Barbara.