Interlibrary Services: Interlibrary Loan and Interlibrary Use
Oglethorpe University students, faculty, and staff may obtain materials from other libraries through the Interlibrary Services department. Interlibrary Services consists of Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and Interlibrary Use (ILU). In order to use either service, your library account must be active and in good standing (your account is not blocked). If you are unsure of your status, please contact the circulation desk.
|ILL - Interlibrary Loan|
This is a service that allows you to borrow materials from other libraries without having to visit them. You may request books, journal articles, microfiche, dissertations, and other materials not available in Philip Weltner Library. Once the material arrives, you may pick it up at the circulation desk.How to request material:
- Verify that the material is not available in our library. Use the Journal Locator to check for periodical titles and the catalog to check for all other materials.
- Submit a request form to Interlibrary Services or the circulation desk. (Submit a separate form for each item you are requesting.) You may also email your request to the ILL Manager. In order to avoid processing delays, your email should include all the information required on the request form(s).
Article request form
Book and other materials request form
- You will be notified via the contact information you provided when your material arrives. Please contact Interlibrary Services if you wish to know the status of a request.
- You may not request material that we own, unless it is lost or missing. If the item you need is checked out, request a recall from the circulation desk.
- Many libraries will not lend audio/visual titles, textbooks, new publications, items in use, or non-circulating materials. Copyright restrictions also prevent many libraries from providing photocopies of online journal articles.
- Materials may take up to 2 weeks to arrive depending on processing and/or delivery. If you need material faster than this, you should consider your options through Interlibrary Use.
- Some libraries charge for requests. Libraries within our consortium (ARCHE) will not charge us, but many other institutions will. We pass these charges on to students, but not to faculty and staff. You should indicate on the request form the maximum you are willing to pay.
- Loan periods for returnable items (books) are usually 2 - 4 weeks but are determined by the lending library.
- Renewals are determined by the lending library, but requests must be made before the items are due.
Interlibrary Loan/Lending Contact:
|ILU - Interlibrary Use|
This is a service where students, faculty, and staff of ARCHE member libraries may visit and borrow from the collections of other consortium libraries. You must obtain an ARCHE borrower's card from our library before visiting another institution. You will need a different card for each library you wish to visit.
- Verify that the material you need is not available in our library. Please consult with the Reference Librarian to assist with this task.
- You may visit any of the ARCHE institutions that issue and accept ILU cards. To determine which library you wish to visit, search other Georgia Library Catalogs via GALILEO.
- Obtain a card from a library staff member. Students must fill out and sign the ILU agreement form, which states that you are held responsible for unreturned items and overdue fines/fees.
Interlibrary Use Contact: