Old Oglethorpe University
||Oglethorpe University. Old Oglethorpe
||Old Oglethorpe University
||1833-1877 [bulk 1847-1858]
|| Oglethorpe University was originally located in Midway, a community of Milledgeville, Georgia. The founding date was 1835. These papers include report cards, correspondence, receipts, invitations, catalogues, addresses and essays, notebooks, and newspaper clippings concerning the everyday life of the school and its students in this original location. The campus relocated to Atlanta, Georgia in the early 20th century
||3 linear feet
Oglethorpe University was chartered by the state of Georgia in 1835, shortly after the centennial observance of the state. The college was named after James Edward Oglethorpe, the founder of Georgia. Oglethorpe University, which commenced actual operations in 1838, was one of the earliest denominational institutions in the South located below the Virginia line. The antebellum college, which began with four faculty members and about 125 students, was located at Midway, a small community near Milledgeville, then the capital of Georgia. Oglethorpe's president during much of this period was Samuel Kennedy Talmage, an eminent minister and educator. Oglethorpe's most distinguished alumnus from the antebellum era was the poet, critic, and musician Sidney Lanier, who graduated in 1860. The Civil War brought an end to the college. It re-opened in 1872 for a short time then closed again until its revival in Atlanta in 1913.
The arrangement is alphabetical by subject.
The Old Oglethorpe papers consist of items related to the university when it was founded and resided in Midway, Georgia. Items include correspondence, report cards, notebooks, receipts, catalogues, and addresses.
Oglethorpe University (Milledgeville, Ga.)
Oglethorpe University Magazine
Oglethorpe University catalogs
Presbyterians -- Southern States -- History
Kennedy, Robert T.
Please cite Old Oglethorpe University, Archives, Philip Weltner Library, Oglethorpe University, Atlanta, Georgia. Permission to publish from this
collection must be approved in writing by the Director of the Library,
Five notebooks of lecture notes kept by an early student.
Folder 1. Addresses, 1844-1859
Folder 2. Autograph book, 1856
Folder 3. Catalogues of Oglethorpe, 1858-1860
Folder 4. Commencement, 1850,1858
Folder 5. Correspondence, 1839,1846,1849,1853
Folder 6. Delegate to Convention certificate, 1877
Folder 7. Endowment letter, 1851
Folder 8. Ephemera
Folder 9. Indenture of Oglethorpe College, 1880
Folder 10. Invitation to the ball, 1858
Folder 11. Manual for 1856
Folder 12. Map of campus, 1865
Folder 13. Minutes--Presbytery of South Carolina, 1861
Folder 14. Minutes--South Carolina and Georgia Synod, 1833,1843
Folder 15. Oglethorpe University Magazine, 1855
Folder 16. Oration, 1839
Folder 17. Receipts, 1880s
Folder 18. Report Card of Benjamin Hunter
Folder 19. Notebook, n.d.
Folder 20. Robert T. Kennedy Papers, 1852
Box 3 (Oversize).
Minutes, Trustees, Oct. 1835-June 1871
Box 4 (Oversize).
Minutes, Trustees, 1870-1879
Back to Top